Hercules Playground Auditing services all Australian States and its primary role is to limit the exposure of children and your organisation to inappropriate risk.
Our inspector, Bill Pegus, is highly experienced, fully qualified (CPSIA Certificate 111) and professional.
The business carries full Professional Indemnity and Public Liability insurances.
Our aim is to assist in the creation and maintenance of safe inspiring play spaces, and we bring to this very extensive experience in the following areas.
- Manufacturing, design, installation and maintenance of playgrounds. This includes water and nature play, sporting and gym areas, surfaces including wet pour rubber, artificial turf, sports surfaces.
- Certified auditing of playgrounds to all relevant Australian Standards.
- Complementary skills developed as a construction supervisor with safety responsibilities in the civil construction industry on very large projects, and as a school principal.
Hercules Playground Auditing is built on competence, reliability, honesty, transparency and value.
Under current Australian Standards AS 4685.0 clause 8.5.5 “a comprehensive annual playground inspection shall be carried out” This is in addition to organisations conducting their own routine and operational inspections.
This inspection is intended to determine the level of conformance with the relevant parts of the Australian Standards establishing safety of the equipment, foundations, playground surfaces and surrounds.
We provide –
- Comprehensive easy to read, written reports with photos.
- Reports leading to certification, ensuring that all elements of play equipment are free from potential risks and are being adequately maintained.
- Advice for maintenance staff, allowing them to rectify identified problems where possible.
- Detailed annual inspections which identify non – conformance, potential issues and hazards on and in the playground. They assist with setting future maintenance redevelopment and phase out schedules.
- Advice on all aspects of playground development, safety, design and maintenance, including the development of appropriate guidelines for organisations in these areas.
When do you need an inspection?
- Comprehensive inspections annually. (routine and operational inspections are more frequent and often done by your organisation. We can assist in the development of these)
- New playground commissions.
- Modifications or upgrades.
- Following significant vandalism.
- Following incidents where equipment or softfall may be at fault.
- For issues relating to lawsuits and litigation.
- Rubber surfaces – at installation and every three years.
Note – AS 4685.0.2017 Clause 8.5.7 “post installation and comprehensive inspections shall be performed by a person who has the training and experience that enables them to perform a full conformity check to AS 4685 (series) Impact testing in accordance with AS4422 requires the capability to operate specialised equipment and interpret the results.” AS 4685.0.2017 Clause 8.5.7
We test using the Triax 2015 system. It will test wet pour rubber surfaces, synthetic or real grass, organic or loose fill (sand, woodchips) and sports surfaces for impact attenuation.
According to Australian Standards rubber softfall is to be certified at installation and every three years thereafter. AS 4685.2014, AS4422.2016 and AS4685.0.2017.
Bill Pegus has been trained by certified and international Triax 2015 developer Rolf Huber (Canada). His machine meets international standards to determine the performance of surfaces to prevent life threatening and debilitating head injuries. It works as follows:
- The test surface is struck by the Triax Head form in a defined series of impacts from different fall heights.
- The signal recorded during each impact is processed to yield a level of severity from the measured impact energy.
- The Head Injury Criteria (HIC) and G-max values (measurements of speed and impact) of each impact are plotted, and the critical fall height calculated. Critical fall height is the maximum fall height which will give an acceptable level of impact attenuation.